After some issues with my line, a bit of goolging later, I found some interesting tools and methods to troubleshoot laggy / bad internet connections.
I am posting these things here, hoping they help someone find a problem.
Test 1 :
I was TODAY years old when I found out about PATHPING. Its a command prompt utility, somewhere between ping and Tracert, and gives cool stats as well. Simply type PATHPING and the ip address of the game server you play on, it will do the rest.
Test 2 :
Run a UOTrace
A UOTrace can give you a better look at the quality of your Internet connection. It can nail down where there are any issues, and it can be helpful for both our advisors and your ISP to see what needs fixing.
Even though UOTrace is a program for your PC, it will tell you how your overall connection is working. That way you can see how well you’ll connect with your other devices, too.
How to get a UOTrace
- Download the UO Trace program if you do not already have it.
- Run the program.
- If a pop-up box appears telling you “UO Server List not found,” click No .
3. Click the Options menu at the top of the window, then click Advanced .
- Type easo.ea.com in the window where you see the server list. This works for most EA titles.
- If you’re having trouble connecting to Star Wars ™: The Old Republic™, choose your server location from this list and test your connection to it instead of easo.ea.com:
- East Coast: 188.8.131.52
- West Coast: 184.108.40.206
- Europe: 220.127.116.11
- Click the Trace Route button.
- Click the Poll button when it’s done.
- Under the Pkts r/s column, wait for the number of packets to get up to 100 then click Stop poll .
- The Stop poll button is the same as the Poll button.
When you’re done, the UOTrace will be filled out with information about packet loss and ping times.
TEST 3 : Do a in-game connection test.
Test 4 : Turn on your network graph (This actually should be TEST1)
In Game, Click OPTIONS… GAMEPLAY… ADVANCED OPTIONS…scroll right to the bottom, and turn on your network graph.
Here is an example of a (my) very bad graph. The yellow line is the packet loss , showing mostly 100% packet loss, and extremely high latency. This is even when my in-game ping is only 30ms and my speedtest show 10Mb/s.
It also registers every shot vs every hit, all in all a very usefull thing to enable when you think you have line / /connection issues.